[ncl-talk] Order of dimensions of an array in netcdf

Gurer, Kemal@ARB kemal.gurer at arb.ca.gov
Wed Oct 21 18:10:38 MDT 2020

Hello ncl'ers,

I have been searching a detailed description for the dimensional order of the data points of a multi-dimensional variable to be written
to a netcdf file. I found some locations, but am also equally confused with different explanations or my lack of understanding. One example
for such an explanation for the variable:

temp [TIMES] [LEVELS] [LATS] [LONS];

with

TIMES = 3,
LEVELS = 1,
LATS = 5,
LONS = 10

being written into the netcdf file in the order of dimensions is given at:

https://www.unidata.ucar.edu/software/netcdf/docs/netcdf_data_set_components.html

and mentions "The order in which the data will be returned is with the last dimension, LONS, varying fastest:"
at the time of retrieval of the data.

What I am wondering is when I write the variable "temp" above into the netcdf file, is the first data element of temp:

Temp [2] [1] [4] [9]

or,

temp [0] [1] [0] [0]

Thank you for your help.