[ncl-talk] How to interpolate precipitation without losing much confidence?

Dave Allured - NOAA Affiliate dave.allured at noaa.gov
Thu Oct 1 09:58:51 MDT 2020

In NCL, this kind of operation falls under regridding, not interpolation.
I recommend one of the area averaging functions, such
as area_conserve_remap, area_hi2lores, or ESMF_regrid.

None of those functions use the grid box calculation that you specified.
If you want to perform that exact calculation over all grid boxes falling
in a 1/8 degree box, you will need to write your own NCL code.  I suggest
that you use the dim_avg_n function inside a double loop over all output
points on the 1/8 degree grid.  "There is more than one way to do this."