[ncl-talk] Function for computing u, v components of the divergence

Pei, Lisi lisipei at msu.edu
Thu Oct 1 07:44:08 MDT 2020

Hi there,

As the function uv2dv_cfd can give the divergence field for a regional data at fixed grid, I am wondering if there is a function similar to dv2uvf (this function only works for global grids) that can generate the u, and v component for the divergence derived from uv2dv_cfd. There seem to be a lot built-in function similar to dv2uvf (e.g. dv2uvF_Wrap<https://www.ncl.ucar.edu/Document/Functions/Contributed/dv2uvF_Wrap.shtml>, dv2uvG<https://www.ncl.ucar.edu/Document/Functions/Built-in/dv2uvG-1.shtml>, dv2uvg<https://www.ncl.ucar.edu/Document/Functions/Built-in/dv2uvg.shtml>, uv2dvF<https://www.ncl.ucar.edu/Document/Functions/Built-in/uv2dvF-1.shtml>) but none of them would suite a regional grid such as WRF outputs. If I am not missing anything, would anybody be able to share an efficient way to calculate the u and v component of a 2-D divergence field at pressure level by NCL?

Thanks for any help in advance.

Best,
Lisi