[ncl-talk] xy plot with bins

Adam Phillips asphilli at ucar.edu
Thu Nov 12 10:34:38 MST 2020

Hi Debasish,
Yes, it is possible. I use gsn_histogram to bin my data for me, but then I
manually use gsn_csm_xy to draw the bars. This method gives me greater
control over the plot than if I had used gsn_histogram to plot. Here is a
sample of my coding:

  hres = True
  hres at gsnDraw = False
  hres at gsnFrame = False

  hres at gsnHistogramBinIntervals = fspan(-.1,.1,41)
  plot = gsn_histogram(wks,model_runtrend,hres)
  aa_h = plot at NumInBins*1.
  aa_h!0 = "time"
  aa_h&time = fspan(-.0975,.0975,40)     ; these are the midpoint values of
the bins set above in gsnHistogramBinIntervals
  delete([/plot/])
  if (min(model_runtrend).le.min(hres at gsnHistogramBinIntervals
).or.max(model_runtrend).gt.max(hres at gsnHistogramBinIntervals)) then   ;
make sure values are not outside bin range
     print("AA trends outside histogram bin range, adjust bin range")
     printMinMax(model_runtrend,0)
     exit
  end if

  bres = True
  bres at gsnDraw = False
  bres at gsnFrame = False
  bres at gsnYRefLine = 0.0
  bres at gsnXYBarChart = True
  bres at gsnXYBarChartColors = "red"
  bres at trYMinF = 0.0
  bres at trXMinF = -.1
  bres at trXMaxF = .1
  bres at tmXBMode = "Explicit"
  bres at tmXBValues = fspan(-.1,.1,5)
  bres at tmXBLabels = bres at tmXBValues
  bres at tmXBMinorValues = fspan(-.2,.2,17)
  bplot = gsn_csm_xy(wks, aa_h&time, aa_h, bres)

Hope that helps!
Adam

On Wed, Nov 11, 2020 at 11:54 PM Debasish Hazra via ncl-talk <
ncl-talk at mailman.ucar.edu> wrote:

> Hi,
> Is there a way to do xy plot with size bins on xaxis without doing pdfx in
> NCL ? Attached is ncl script that reads output using pdfx. But wondering
> without using pdfx, can NCL be used to draw bins specified in xaxis.
> Uploaded output file in ftp server. Any help on this is appreciated.
>
> Thanks
> Debasish

Adam Phillips