[ncl-talk] How to convert a contour map to a raster file from a nc file?

Dave Allured - NOAA Affiliate dave.allured at noaa.gov
Wed Jun 10 13:03:19 MDT 2020

Okay, I understand.  There are many possible reasons for can not download
properly, and I would rather not attempt to remote diagnose your systems.

Try the following as both a shortcut and to get some diagnostic
information. This is an attempt to circumvent unknown problems with a
mysterious remote file structure, by extracting a simplified file with
known behavior.

On the remote server, open that remote file in NCL.  Get a single gridded
variable that is the 2-D data that you want for your initial test case.
This will probably be the same grid that you were plotting in your initial
example.  Ensure that this variable has attached lat and lon coordinates.
All of this can be done with your original plotting program, you do not
even need to write new code lines so far.  If there are parts you do not
understand, please ask.

Now still in NCL, create a new Netcdf data file.  Write the single grid
with attached coordinates to this new file, then exit NCL.  Here, it is
easier to show than explain.

    newfile = addfile ("xdata.nc", "c")
    newfile->x = x
    exit

Now see if you can easily download this new small Netcdf file.  If this
works, then you will have the grid that you want locally, in a format that
should be readable by Panoply, NCL, and GIS programs.