[ncl-talk] Problem on averaging variable

Dennis Shea shea at ucar.edu
Tue Jun 9 19:38:22 MDT 2020

As previously noted, NCL recognizes "*_FillValue
<https://www.unidata.ucar.edu/software/netcdf/docs/attribute_conventions.html>*"

It is the user responsibility change NaNs to _FillValue

See: *replace_ieeenan*
<http://www.ncl.ucar.edu/Document/Functions/Built-in/replace_ieeenan.shtml>
It is easy to use:

  x = f->.....

 if (*any* <http://www.ncl.ucar.edu/Document/Functions/Built-in/any.shtml>(*isnan_ieee*
<http://www.ncl.ucar.edu/Document/Functions/Built-in/isnan_ieee.shtml>(x)))
then
    if(.not.*isatt*
<http://www.ncl.ucar.edu/Document/Functions/Built-in/isatt.shtml>(x,"_FillValue"))
then
      x at _FillValue = *default_fillvalue*
<http://www.ncl.ucar.edu/Document/Functions/Built-in/default_fillvalue.shtml>(*typeof*
<http://www.ncl.ucar.edu/Document/Functions/Built-in/typeof.shtml>(x))
    end if
    *replace_ieeenan* (x, x at _FillValue, 0)
  end if