[ncl-talk] Problem on averaging variable

Giorgio Graffino g.graffino at tim.it
Tue Jun 9 15:41:21 MDT 2020

Dear NCL users,I have a weird issue on computing a simple avarage of a variable.
I'm analysing a large subset of CMIP models to obtain density plots. However, there is a particular model I can't analyse: when I compute the average, all values in the variable becomes missing values. Here is the relevant snippet
 printVarSummary(rho_9s_mask) printMinMax(rho_9s_mask,False)
;; Create cross sections rho_9s_mask_ave = dim_avg_n_Wrap(rho_9s_mask,2) copy_VarCoords_1(rho_9s_mask,rho_9s_mask_ave)  printVarSummary(rho_9s_mask_ave) printMinMax(rho_9s_mask_ave,False)
and here is what I obtain
Variable: rho_9s_mask

Type: float

Total Size: 14493600 bytes

            3623400 values

Number of Dimensions: 3

Dimensions and sizes:   [time | 165] x [lev | 61] x [lon | 360]

Coordinates:
            time: [181.25..60081.25]

            lev: [   1..6525]

            lon: [ 0..358.9818]

Number Of Attributes: 1

  _FillValue :  1e+20

(0)     min=1020.5   max=1027.72

Variable: rho_9s_mask_ave

Type: float

Total Size: 40260 bytes

            10065 values

Number of Dimensions: 2

Dimensions and sizes:   [time | 165] x [lev | 61]

Coordinates:
            time: [181.25..60081.25]

            lev: [   1..6525]

Number Of Attributes: 2

  _FillValue :  1e+20

  average_op_ncl :      dim_avg_n over dimension(s): lon

(0)     min=nan   max=nan

This works for all models but one. I tried to use a different function for the average, but nothing changes. I also tried to compute the average on other dimensions: the problem occurs again when averaging on the lev coordinate, but it doesn't when averaging on the time coordinate. It seems that there is a problem in the coordinate, but everything looks alright in the variable before the averaging.
Do you have any guess of what's wrong or any suggestion to help me?
Thanks a lot, Giorgio