[ncl-talk] installing ncl on Debian Linux 10

Brian Thomas brian.thomas at washburn.edu
Wed Apr 22 12:03:41 MDT 2020

I had an install issue a while back and I found that using “conda” made things much easier.

https://www.ncl.ucar.edu/Download/conda.shtml

Message: 1
Date: Wed, 22 Apr 2020 03:52:57 +0000
From: Francesco Trotta <francesco.trotta4 at unibo.it<mailto:francesco.trotta4 at unibo.it>>
To: NCL Talk <ncl-talk at ucar.edu<mailto:ncl-talk at ucar.edu>>, Gus Correa <gus at ldeo.columbia.edu<mailto:gus at ldeo.columbia.edu>>
Subject: [ncl-talk] R:  installing ncl on Debian Linux 10

Dear Gus Correa

I tried to create a link libgfortran.so.3 to libgfortran.so.5
but I got another error
ncl: /usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/libgfortran.so.3: version `GFORTRAN_1.4' not found (required by ncl)

I would like to not use the virtual environment for now
SO I tried to compile and install from the source code ncarg-6.6.2
following the step-by-step instructor from the website

After I installed all the necessary package on the /usr/local/ and
run the command: make Everything >& make-output
I end up with the below executables:

But there is not 'ncl'

bash: ncl: command not found

What did I miss?

Many Thanks
Francesco

surf at surf:/usr/local/ncl_ncarg/ncl_ncarg-6.6.2/bin$ tree -L 2 ./
./
??? cgm2ncgm
??? ConvertMapData
??? ctlib