[ncl-talk] converting grib averages into hourly values

Micah Sklut micahs2005 at gmail.com
Fri Apr 3 11:44:26 MDT 2020

Hi,

I am looking at Cloud Cover values for GFS data. I download the GFS files
for each individual hour, and for each hour the cloud cover represents a
fraction of a 6 hour period, like this:

hour 1: 0-1 hour average
hour 2: 0-2 hour average
hour 3: 0-3 hour average
hour 4: 0-4 hour average
hour 5: 0-5 hour average
hour 6: 0-6 hour average

I would like to convert this to:

hour 1: 0-1 hour average
hour 2: 1-2 hour average
hour 3: 2-3 hour average
hour 4: 3-4 hour average
hour 5: 4-5 hour average
hour 6: 5-6 hour average

I understand it's just some simple arithmetic to get the averages of the
values for each hour, but I was wondering if there are any handy NCL
functions that can help me efficiently go through the global dataset for
hours 0 - 384.

I did notice there was a wgrib2 function to handle this problem but was
hoping to handle this through NCL, where all my other files/variable
modifications are happening.

Micah Sklut