[ncl-talk] avoiding loops

Micah Sklut micahs2005 at gmail.com
Sun Sep 22 07:38:30 MDT 2019

Hi Rashed,

I’m using addfiles to add all of the files, but I want to take the 384
hours of Data and make one array that has the hourly data concatenated for
each latitude and longitude.

As far as I can see, loops are the only way to go. I just need a lot of
memory to pull it off.

On Sun, Sep 22, 2019 at 8:02 AM Rashed Mahmood <rashidcomsis at gmail.com>
wrote:

> Hi Micah,
> Did you try using the addfiles function in NCL:
>
> https://www.ncl.ucar.edu/Document/Functions/Built-in/addfiles.shtml
>
> For example:
>
>    fils = *systemfunc* <https://www.ncl.ucar.edu/Document/Functions/Built-in/systemfunc.shtml> ("ls *.nc") ; file paths
>    f    = *addfiles* (fils, "r")
>

> You would need to make sure that "ls *.nc" results in the correct order
> with respect to time and day.
>
> Cheers,
> Rashed
>

> On Sat, Sep 21, 2019 at 1:53 PM Micah Sklut via ncl-talk <
> ncl-talk at ucar.edu> wrote:
>
>> Hi,
>>
>> I have a task to take GFS data and concatenate variables across all the
>> forecast hours, for each grid point.
>>
>> For example, taking a temperature variable for each grid point, for all
>> latitude and longitudes, and creating a string that represents the values
>> for each forecast hour.
>> So, if we have for latitude y, and longitude x, there would be a string
>> value like "70.5,71.5,71.5,72.0,...nHours".  The end product will be a line
>> for each grid point for the variables i"m looking at that will be written
>> to a file to be imported into a database.
>>
>> Creating loops through all hours, latitudes, and longitudes will get the
>> job done, but is expensive and was looking to see if there were any NCL
>> functions that would help here.
>>
>> Thank you.

Micah Sklut