[ncl-talk] Names of hlu_default (30 colors)

Dennis Shea shea at ucar.edu
Wed Sep 18 10:20:15 MDT 2019

*https://www.ncl.ucar.edu/prev_releases.shtml*
<https://www.ncl.ucar.edu/prev_releases.shtml>

See the 6.5,0 release notes: Specifically,

*srip_reanalysis*
<https://www.ncl.ucar.edu/Document/Graphics/ColorTables/srip_reanalysis.shtml>
- selected by the SPARC reanalysis intercomparison project group
<https://s-rip.ees.hokudai.ac.jp/> for reanalysis comparisons. This group
carefully selected colors so that groups of reanalyses worked well and so
colorblind people could use it. The idea is that papers will have these
colors for time-series comparisons. Thanks to Cathy Smith (NOAA/ESRL PSD
and CU CIRES) for bringing it to our attention.

This is a 'color-blind' friendly color map that may be better than the
hlu_default for drawing lines.
Beauty is in the eyes of the beholder.

*https://www.ncl.ucar.edu/Document/Graphics/ColorTables/Aid_in_color_blindness_cat.shtml*
<https://www.ncl.ucar.edu/Document/Graphics/ColorTables/Aid_in_color_blindness_cat.shtml>

===
I suggest that you create a table consisting of the RGB triplets and a
corresponding named color.
The srip RGBs do not necessarily match the  X11 table names but you can
find 'close' colors'
These do not have the X11 named colors. You can make up your own names.

SBR_SRIP_RGB_NAMES.txt containing

ncolors=19
#r g b              # name_1
226  31  38     # Alizarin
246 153 153   # Sweet Pink
 41  95 138     # deep cyan-blue
 95 152 198    # ???                      # SteelBlue2  is 'close'
175 203 227
114  59 122
173 113 181
214 184 218
245 126  32
253 191 110
236   0 140
247 153 209
 52 160  72
179  91  40
255 215   0
  0   0   0
119 119 119

Then write a function that selects the RGB triblet corresponding to your
color name.

===
*https://www.ncl.ucar.edu/Document/Graphics/create_color_table.shtml*

On Wed, Sep 18, 2019 at 8:25 AM S Br via ncl-talk <ncl-talk at ucar.edu> wrote:

> Hi Rick,
> Thanks for your reply. I was checking for an easiest way to pick 15
> different colors for a multiline plot, as those colors could also be used
> to prepare a simple legend. I thought hlu_default can quickly give me 15
> different colors. Thanks anyway.
>
> Best.
> SB
>
> On Wed, Sep 18, 2019 at 2:33 PM Rick Brownrigg <brownrig at ucar.edu> wrote:
>
>> Hi,
>>
>> I don't know the names (and they may not align with specific names from
>> the X11 color database), but here are there RGB definitions.
>>
>> Rick
>>
>> On Wed, Sep 18, 2019 at 2:58 AM S Br via ncl-talk <ncl-talk at ucar.edu>
>> wrote:
>>
>>> Hi All,
>>> Could someone tell me the names of 30 colors in hlu_default.
>>> https://www.ncl.ucar.edu/Document/Graphics/ColorTables/hlu_default.shtml
>>>
>>> I am preparing a multiline (15 lines) plot and interested to pick 15
>>> suitable colors from hlu_default.
>>>
>>> Thanks. Regards
>>> SB