[ncl-talk] How to combine many nc files from different folders

Dave Allured - NOAA Affiliate dave.allured at noaa.gov
Tue Sep 17 16:46:47 MDT 2019

Recently there are some known conditions that can cause unknown format and
corrupted file messages for valid netcdf files.  I recommend diagnosing
individual files, not using NCL, before dismissing an entire file set as
corrupted.  Try this black magic first and see if NCL can then read the
files:

    Bash:       HDF5_USE_FILE_LOCKING=FALSE
    C-shell:    setenv HDF5_USE_FILE_LOCKING FALSE

If that does not work, then try these tests.  The first two are guaranteed
to work on all file types.

    file data.nc
    od -c -N16 data.nc
    h5dump -BH data.nc
    ncdump -k data.nc
    ncdump -sh data.nc

If the problem has not become obvious, then post output from these tests to
this mailing list.  If more than 40 lines long, put all output into a text
file with name ending in .txt, and send as a file attachment to your
message.  Please do not send any screen shots.

Also send your NCL version number and type of computer system.

--Dave