[ncl-talk] Error in computing heat sources (Q1) and sinks (Q2)

Lyndz olagueralyndonmark429 at gmail.com
Fri Sep 13 04:27:21 MDT 2019

Dear NCL-experts,

*This is related to my previous emails here.

*[Details]*

I am calculating the heat sources and sinks. My input files can be
downloaded from these links:

*uwnd:* https://www.dropbox.com/s/9esjzhe9q9bodow/lag-lead_uwnd.nc?dl=0
*vwnd:* https://www.dropbox.com/s/o4nf0vhv2u9c80v/lag-lead_vwnd.nc?dl=0
*omega:* https://www.dropbox.com/s/kgoe8sf7z7peq1a/lag-lead_omega.nc?dl=0
*mixing ratio: *
https://www.dropbox.com/s/u1w0hg8fvoecqhr/lag-lead_mixratio.nc?dl=0
*temp:* https://www.dropbox.com/s/9wxf5lbzjsrfukq/lag-lead_temp.nc?dl=0

Attached in this email is the script that I am using.

*[Problems]*

*[1] *I am getting -Inf for Q2. The error occurs when calculating *dHdp*. I
can't figure out why this gives -Inf. The calculation is straightforward as:
   p2 = conform(H,p,1)
   dHdp = center_finite_diff_n (H,p2,False,1,0)

*[2] *The values of Q1 is very large (min=-62600.10594520718
max=81387.3026968562)
I was expecting this to be less than 1000.

Any suggestions on how I can do this correctly in NCL?

I'll appreciate any help....

Sincerely,
Lyndz