[ncl-talk] Performance Diagrams (superimposing forecast values?)

Adam Phillips asphilli at ucar.edu
Mon Sep 9 11:19:14 MDT 2019

Hi Barry,
Yes, you could call gsn_add_text and add the values at each xaxis/yaxis
value, possibly with a small offset if needed:

; values contains the text you want to place next to each marker
txres = True
txres at txFontHeightF = 0.018
dum = gsn_add_text(wks,plot_stat,values,xaxis+0.02, yaxis-0.02,txres)
overlay(plot_stat,plot_csi)
overlay(plot_stat,plot_bias)
draw(plot_stat)
frame(wks)

Adam

On Sun, Sep 8, 2019 at 5:16 AM Barry Lynn via ncl-talk <ncl-talk at ucar.edu>
wrote:

> Hello:
>
> After some angst (and some ncl help suggestions), I created a program to
> create "Performance Diagrams" (see Figure 2 in Roebber et al., 2009:
> https://journals.ametsoc.org/doi/full/10.1175/2008WAF2222159.1).
>
> Of course, anyone is welcome to use it (as it is attached).
>
> The markers show the Probability of Detection versus Success Ratio for
> different precipitation threshold values.  The location on the graph
> provides information about the "performance" of the forecast.
>
> My question: is it possible to superimpose the threshold value (as a
> number) on the marker itself? The markers are added beginning at line 205.
>
> This would probably improve the clarity of the presented graph, so I would
> think it is worth doing (just didn't find anything in Google).
>
> Thank you,
>
> Barry
> Barry H. Lynn, Ph.D
> Senior Associate Scientist, Lecturer,