[ncl-talk] Fwd: Computing apparent heat source from reanalysis data

Lyndz olagueralyndonmark429 at gmail.com
Sun Sep 8 23:15:35 MDT 2019

Dear Sir Dennis and NCL experts,

Thank you for sending the script about this.

I still have one question about the units of the following line:

  Q1 = Cp*dTdt - Cp*(omega*ss-advT)
  Q1 at long_name = "Total Diabatic Heating as the Apparent Heat Source"
  Q1 at units     = "K/s"

>From dimensional analysis:

Cp = J/K*kg
dTdt = K/s
omega = Pa/s
ss = K/Pa
advT = K/s

Q1=(J/Kkg)*K/s - (J/Kkg)*(Pa/s*(K/Pa) - K/s)

Therefore the unit of Q1 should be J/kg/s (Joules per kg per second)?

I would like the unit of Q1 to be in W/m2. I will still need to integrate
it vertically.

I'll appreciate any help about this.

Sincerely,
Lyndz