[ncl-talk] Creating a Scatter Plot With...

Adam Phillips asphilli at ucar.edu
Thu Sep 5 12:36:54 MDT 2019

Hi Barry,
Thanks for providing a simple easy to use script that illustrates the
issue. Even though you are not creating a scatter plot, to get different
marker colors and styles you do need your x and y inputs to be two
dimensional as that is how the xyMarkerColors/xyMarkers resources apply
their settings.

As an example, if you have three markers to draw and you want each to be a
different color and a different symbol, the hypothetical coding would look
like this:
xaxis = new((/3,2/),float)    ; need two dimensional array for different
marker colors/styles, and the second dimension must be of size =>2
yaxis = xaxis

; fill in xaxis/yaxis arrays for (:,0), no need to fill in data for (:,1)
in this specific example

res = True
res at xyMarkerColors     =  (/"green","blue","red"/)
res at xyMarkers            = (/ 3,4,5/)
plot  = gsn_csm_xy (wks,xaxis,yaxis,res)

The above coding will result in:
xaxis(0,0) / yaxis(0,0) value being shaded green with marker style #3
xaxis(1,0) / yaxis(1,0) value being shaded blue with marker style #4
xaxis(2,0) / yaxis(2,0) value being shaded red with marker style #5

I've attached a modified version of your script with the resulting output.
Adam