[ncl-talk] Re-scaling Variables Vertically

MELISSA KAZEMI RAD mk1369 at scarletmail.rutgers.edu
Wed Sep 4 09:11:19 MDT 2019

Hi,

I'm trying to figure out how to plot composites of averages of a number of
variables with respect to height Z from WRF. What I'm looking for is the
same as what is done in Jones, et al. 2011 paper:

"For the composited profiles, the profiles were scaled so each LCL and zi
aligned. The composite mean was then rescaled so that the dashed black
line indicates the mean zi for each subset of profiles included in the
composite, and the dashed red line the mean LCL."

I'm attaching the respective plot from the paper. What I'm struggling with
is that the height dimension of each variable is discretized into a number
of pre-set vertical levels, and I cannot see how I can determine a fixed
height for all of them, so that their average will have the same height.
I'm not sure if interpolation would work here, because it still keeps the
vertical levels the same and just interpolates values between them.

I really appreciate some help.

Bests,
Melissa

--