[ncl-talk] Changing the size of panel plot elements

Adam Phillips asphilli at ucar.edu
Fri Oct 25 09:52:56 MDT 2019

Hi Toni,
I would call gsn_panel twice, once for the first row and once for the
2nd/3rd rows. You will also have to set a few resources in your panel
resource list:
resP at gsnPanelBottom = 0.65  ; will likely need adjusting
resP at gsnFrame = False
resP at gsnPanelRowSpec = False
resP at gsnPanelLabelBar = False
resP at gsnPanelDebug = True
gsn_panel(wks,plot(:1),(/1,2/),resP)

resP at gsnPanelTop = resP at gsnPanelBottom - 0.05   ; will likely need adjusting
delete(resP at gsnPanelBottom)
resP at gsnPanelLabelBar = True
gsn_panel(wks,plot(2:),(/2,2/),resP)
frame(wks)

gsnPanelDebug prints out information about the positioning of the panel
plots, as well as their size. You can then use this information to set the
positioning of the panels (although you cannot set the height/width this
way). See panel example 19:
http://www.ncl.ucar.edu/Applications/panel.shtml#ex19
This method will take a bit of trial and error, but it shouldn't take too
long.

Alternatively, you can panel the figures manually, see example 39 here:
http://www.ncl.ucar.edu/Applications/panel.shtml#ex39
Adam

On Fri, Oct 25, 2019 at 9:29 AM Toni Klemm via ncl-talk <ncl-talk at ucar.edu>
wrote:

> Hello NCL community,
>
> I’m plotting a panel of 6 maps (2 columns x 3 rows), each one 5 longitudes
> wide but the top two panels have a different size than the other ones,
> because their geographic area is larger (spanning 7 degrees latitude
> instead of 6 degrees). Because of that, the top panel elements are smaller
> than the other ones. Is there a way to change the size of the top two so
> that they all site neatly on top of each other?
>
> I attached a sample plot and my code.
>
> Thank you all,
> Toni
>

> *Toni Klemm, Ph.D.*Postdoctoral Research Associate
> Department of Ecosystem Science and Management
> College of Agriculture and Life Sciences
> Texas A&M University, College Station, TX
> www.toni-klemm.de | @toniklemm <http://www.twitter.com/toniklemm>
> Editorial Board member, Early Career Climate Forum
> <http://www.eccforum.org>

Adam Phillips