[ncl-talk] Weighted vertical integral

Adam Phillips asphilli at ucar.edu
Tue Oct 8 12:00:48 MDT 2019

Just to be clear: Following the nomenclature in the wgt_vert_avg_beta
documentation:
https://www.ncl.ucar.edu/Document/Functions/Built-in/wgt_vert_avg_beta.shtml
If you set punits = 0, then the p and psfc arrays must be in units of hPa.
If you set punits = 1, then the p and psfc arrays must be in units of Pa.

Is your punits setting consistent with the units of your passed arrays p
and psfc?

As always with ncl-talk, please respond to the email list and not to me
individually so others can see the response.
Adam

On Tue, Oct 8, 2019 at 5:53 AM Drbz Kg via ncl-talk <ncl-talk at ucar.edu>
wrote:

> Dear all,
>
> I have a problem regarding using the "wgt_vert_avg_beta" function in NCL.
> I am trying to calculate weight vertical integral of meridional moist
> static energy.
> The problem I am facing is that I get different results for choosing the
> units of pressure levels and surface pressure.
> In other words, calculations with "hPa" units are different from "Pa" when
> I convert the pressure levels and surface pressures.
> Why is that?!  It is not just the value that matters but the shape of the
> line (XY plot) I got is different, and it is really important for me
> because I am looking for the latitude where this parameter becomes zero.
> Can anyone help me, please?  which one is correct?
>
> Best

Adam Phillips