[ncl-talk] winds remapped to lambert projection grid

Dennis Shea shea at ucar.edu
Fri Nov 1 10:51:12 MDT 2019

Generally, for visual purposes, people ignore the fact that a new grid
location would technically require a rotation [rot] of the interpolated u,v:

    U =  ui*cos(rot) + vi*sin(rot)    ; ui,vi are interpolated values
    V = -ui*sin(rot)  + vi*cos(rot)   ; U,V are after rotation

Generally, the new grid is of about the same resolution so the rotation
angle is 'small'.
--
If deemed essential, it may be best to
[a] compute the scalar quantities vorticity and divergence on the source

    [Ur, Vr]  <=== derive from interpolated vorticity
    [Ud,Vd] <=== derive from interpolated divergence

    U = Ur + Ud
    V = Vr + Vd