[ncl-talk] CONUS-SOIL

Michael Notaro mnotaro at wisc.edu
Mon Jul 15 10:46:30 MDT 2019

I am now trying to read the CONUS-Soil dataset for bulk density.  I tried the following

but ended up with values of around 320 rather then the expect values around 1.5.

What might I be missing here?

dims = (/ 11, 2984, 6936 /)
codes = cbinread ("bd.bsq", dims, "ushort")
soil=int2flt(ushorttoint(codes))
soil=soil(:,::-1,:)/100.

Data description

http://www.soilinfo.psu.edu/index.cgi?soil_data&conus&data_cov&bd&datasets&geo
The 30-arcsec gridded data are also available as a three-dimensional array of 16-bit unsigned binary integers, where each integer value represents the bulk density multiplied by 100. The data are organized as eleven two-dimensional layers, giving, respectively, mean BD for each of the 11 standard soil layers. Within each layer, the values are arranged by horizontal rows. All values for the first layer are given first, starting with the value for the left (western) end of the top (northern-most) row, and continuing left to right along the row. The data for the last row of the first layer are then followed by the top row of the second layer, and so on.  The array contains 11 layers each containing 2984 rows of 6936 values.

Map of bulk density

http://www.soilinfo.psu.edu/index.cgi?soil_data&conus&data_cov&bd&image

Thanks, Michael

Michael Notaro
Associate Director
Nelson Institute Center for Climatic Research
University of Wisconsin-Madison
Phone: (608) 261-1503