[ncl-talk] Interpolating data to time and location of dropsonde

Andrew Kren - NOAA Affiliate andrew.kren at noaa.gov
Fri Jul 12 15:21:06 MDT 2019

Dear ncl-talk,

I'm having some confusion on interpolating gridded model data to the
location and time of dropsonde profiles. I'm doing this so that I can
co-locate the profiles to understand error characteristics.

My model data is ERA5, which is hourly and is four-dimensional ([time |
576] x [lev | 25] x [lat | 214] x [lon | 267]). My dropsonde profiles are
one-dimensional in pressure - on 25 pressure levels from the surface to 100
hPa. I loop over each dropsonde profile and first bilinearly interpolate
ERA5 to the lat/lon location:

; bilinearly interpolate ERA5 to dropsonde release location
q_era_int := linint2_points(lon_era,lat_era,q_era,False,lon_d(0),lat_d(0),0)

After that, I linearly interpolate ERA5 to the dropsonde release time:

; linearly interpolate ERA5 to dropsonde release time
q_era_int := linint1_n(time_era,q_era_int,False,time_d, 0, 0) ; time x lev
x locations

I get the correct dimensions of pressure only in the final result. I guess
my question is, is this the correct way to go about it? I have seen many
ncl functions on interpolation so its hard to keep track of all of them.

My larger code is also attached for reference.

Thank you,

--
Andrew Kren
Assistant Scientist