[ncl-talk] OPeNDAP retrieval of MODIS as .nc?

Burakowski, Elizabeth Elizabeth.Burakowski at unh.edu
Tue Jul 9 15:14:36 MDT 2019

Hello,

I am writing an NCL script to pull a subset of MOD10A1 Daily Snow Cover files for analysis. I'd like to pull the files as netCDF instead of hdf.

The UI page seems to suggest I can request as .nc:

https://n5eil02u.ecs.nsidc.org/opendap/MOST/MOD10A1.006/2000.03.10/MOD10A1.A2000070.h12v04.006.2016061222432.hdf.html

But it's not clear how I would do this in NCL.  For hdf, I tried to use:

filename = "MOD10A1.A2019181.h12v04.006.2019183024309.hdf"
subdir = "2019.06.30"
url = "https://n5eil02u.ecs.nsidc.org/opendap/MOST/MOD10A1.006/"
exists = isfilepresent(url+sudir+"/"+filename)

However, I receive an error that starts with:

"syntax error, unexpected WORD_WORD, expecting SCAN_ATTR or SCAN_DATASET or SCAN_ERROR"

and ends with:

"ncopen: filename "https://n5eil02u.ecs.nsidc.org/opendap/MOST/MOD10A1.006/2019.06.30/MOD10A1.A2019181.h12v04.006.2019183024309.hdf": NetCDF: Malformed or inaccessible DAP DDS"

I suspect there is something wrong with the url, but this is the one provided by nsidc.

Any suggestions?

Thank you,

Liz.

Dr. Elizabeth A Burakowski
She/Her/Hers
Research Assistant Professor
Earth Systems Research Center &
Institute for the Study of Earth, Oceans, and Space
University of New Hampshire
8 College Road Durham, NH 03824
603-862-1796
elizabeth.burakowski at unh.edu