[ncl-talk] NCL failed. Segmentation fault (core dumped)

Rick Brownrigg brownrig at ucar.edu
Tue Jul 9 08:31:25 MDT 2019

Hi Berny,

The command ng4ex is actually a C-shell (csh) script, and the NCL
distribution has a number of others (eg, ncl_filedump, ncl_convert2nc,
etc). Lately we have been getting reports of these scripts causing a SEGV
specifically on Ubuntu systems. We don't know why and we do not have ready
access to an Ubuntu platform.  I would be interested to know if
other/any/all C-shell scripts cause the problem as well.

The workaround however is to replace the C-shell with the tahoe-shell -
tcsh.  That can be done in several ways:

i) at the system level, replace /usr/bin/csh with a symlink to
/usr/bin/tcsh.

ii) patch the various ncl utilities by replacing the first line:

    #!/bin/csh -f
with
    #!/bin/tcsh -f

You can track down where these utilities are on the disk, by for example:

   which ng4ex

I hope that helps. I am going to load up an Ubuntu virtual machine and see
if I can replicate the problem.

Rick