[ncl-talk] Vector arrows thickness and density

Adam Phillips asphilli at ucar.edu
Thu Jan 24 15:14:36 MST 2019

Hi Muhammad,
I'm taking a guess as I cannot see your script, but should this:
opts at vcLineArrowThicknessF      = 3
be this:
opts_va at vcLineArrowThicknessF      = 3

Setting vcMinDistanceF is the easiest way to thin the vectors:
opts_va at vcMinDistanceF  = 0.014
Try increasing that number to see if that thins the vectors out enough.
Alternatively you can subset the vector data passed to the plotting
function, for example the following will pass every other lat/lon point to
the plotting routine:
plot = gsn_csm_vector(wks,uwnd(::2,::2),vwnd(::2,::2),vres)

If you have any further questions let ncl-talk know.
Adam

On Wed, Jan 23, 2019 at 11:39 PM Muhammad Omer Mughal <
m.mughal1 at graduate.curtin.edu.au> wrote:

> Dear NCL team
>
> Kindly see the two plots attached. In the old  setting the arrows were
> thin and at some points too small to be seen in the plots. I wanted to make
> the plots thicker so I used the following new settings (see attached plot)
>
>         opts at vcLineArrowThicknessF      = 3
>         opts_va at vcGlyphStyle = "LineArrow"
>         opts_va at vcLineArrowColor="red"
>         opts_va at vcMapDirection  = False
>         opts_va at vcRefMagnitudeF = 4
>         opts_va at vcRefLengthF    = 0.05
>         opts_va at vcMinDistanceF  = 0.014
>
> But now  I see the arrows too densely packed and also they are not  as
> thick as I expected them to be. I also have the restriction that I cannot
> change the reference magnitude.
>
> I want to know how to reduce the arrows density and increase their
> thickness. I tried  using
> opts_va at NumVectors = 33  ​
> But it was overridden  . I would be greatful to have your suggestions.
>
> Regards
>
>  Muhammad Omer Mughal
>  MSc BSc Mechanical Engineering
>  PhD  Research Scholar
>  Remote Sensing and Satellite Research Group
>  Department of Imaging and Applied Physics
>  Curtin University
>
>  Curtin University
>  Tel | +61  8 9266 7962
>  Fax | +61  8 9266 2377
>  Mobile | 0470 237 525
>
>  Email | m.mughal1 at postgrad.curtin.edu.au
>  Web | http://curtin.edu.au
>

>  ​ Curtin University is a trademark of Curtin University of Technology.
>
>  CRICOS Provider Code 00301J (WA), 02637B (NSW)

Adam Phillips