[ncl-talk] dim_variance_n_Wrap

Dennis Shea shea at ucar.edu
Sat Jan 19 08:49:37 MST 2019

 f  = addfile("all_BoB.nc", "r")
 prc =f->pre(:,{65:110},{0:30})

 prc_reorder = prc(time|:,latitude|:,longitude|:)
;printVarSummary(prc_reorder)
;printMinMax(prc_reorder,0)

 prcTrace = 1.0   ; mm
 prcRain   = *where*
<https://www.ncl.ucar.edu/Document/Functions/Built-in/where.shtml>(prc_reorder.ge.prcTrace,
prc_reorder,  prc_reorder at _FillValue)
 *copy_VarMeta*
<https://www.ncl.ucar.edu/Document/Functions/Contributed/copy_VarMeta.shtml>(prc_reorder,
prcRain)
;printVarSummary(prcRain)
;printMinMax(prcRain,0)

 prcDayRainAvg = *dim_avg_n_Wrap*
<https://www.ncl.ucar.edu/Document/Functions/Contributed/dim_avg_n_Wrap.shtml>(prcRain,
0)
 prcDayRainAvg at long_name = "Rain Total on Rain Days: prcTrace="+prcTrace
 prcDayRainVar  = *dim_variance_n_Wrap*
<https://www.ncl.ucar.edu/Document/Functions/Contributed/dim_variance_n_Wrap.shtml>
(prcRain,0)
 rcDayRainVar at long_name = "Rain Varianceon Rain Days: prcTrace="+prcTrace

;printVarSummary(prcDayRainAvg)
;printMinMax(prcDayRainAvg,0)

;printVarSummary(prcDayRainVar)
;printMinMax(prcDayRainVar,0)

You will still get large variance numbers. Rain amounts span prcTrace to
(say) 500.