[ncl-talk] Grainy image

Rick Brownrigg brownrig at ucar.edu
Thu Jan 10 10:06:46 MST 2019

Hi Tim,

I don't know for certain without looking at the data, but I have to imagine
its manifest in the data itself, and that in those regions you mentioned
the probability is hovering right around 50%.  The color contrast between
40% and 50% is rather abrupt, relative to the rest of the successive
colors, which I think draws attention to the fluctuations. There also
appears to be similar fluctuations going on in Montana and Minnesota, but
its harder to see because those colors "closer" to each other, perceptually.

FWIW...
Rick