[ncl-talk] Mass Correction Flux _ Mass-Weighted Vertical Integral

Behrooz Keshtgar behroozkeshtgar73 at gmail.com
Sat Aug 24 06:14:01 MDT 2019

Dear NCL Community,

I am calculating poleward moist static energy (MSE) flux. I am using
monthly means of the parameters from the ERA_interim data sets.

These parameters include temperature, specific humidity, geopotential,
zonal and meridional wind components for 27 vertical levels (100-1000 hPa).

I want to add mass flux correction to the column-integrated fluxes. I have
read related papers regarding mass correction; however, my problem is that
I am not able to perform the calculations. I am using NCAR Command Language
(NCL) for my analysis.

Can you help me with this matter?!

Is there any provided code that I can use for mass correction?

Here are some notes regarding the mass correction. I believe that I have to
calculate the barotropic wind field to add this correction to my
calculations.

http://www.cgd.ucar.edu/cas/catalog/newbudgets/

https://journals.ametsoc.org/doi/full/10.1175/JCLI3906.1

Furthermore, I have a question regarding the vertically integrated
functions in NCL. I have used "wgt_vert_avg_beta" function for my
calculations. However, I want mass-weighted vertical integral so I guess I
have to divide the return values by g (9.8) to get mass-weighted vertical
integral (I have the surface pressure data as well). Also, I compared the
results with wgt_vertical_n function, and there were noticeable differences
with the previous function. Besides my vertically integrated fluxes are not
consistent with other articles (almost 2 PW difference in subtropical
areas, (for the global mean)), is this related to the vertical integral
functions or something else?!

Here are the links for the functions:

https://www.ncl.ucar.edu/Document/Functions/Contributed/wgt_vertical_n.shtml

https://www.ncl.ucar.edu/Document/Functions/Built-in/wgt_vert_avg_beta.shtml