[ncl-talk] check_for_y_lat_coord: Warning: -Zilore Mumba

Rick Brownrigg brownrig at ucar.edu
Thu Apr 25 20:05:01 MDT 2019

Hi Zilore,

Did you see Dennis's reply to this issue from earlier today (Thurs)?  He's
of course correct, and I should have know this, but yes, by NetCDF
definitions, a coordinate variable must be:

i) 1-dimensional
ii) monotonically increasing/decreasing
iii) have the same variable name as its dimension name

So to accommodate curvilinear/2D coordinates, NCL recognizes special
*attributes* names in its plotting routines. So if I comment out these
lines in the script you sent me:

;;;;lat2d    = f->lat             ; (y,x)
;;;lon2d    = f->lon             ; (y,x)
  nt       =1

;;;p!0   = "lat2d" ; No error message at this and following line.
;;;p!1   = "lon2d"

and add:
  p at lat2d = f->lat
  p at lon2d = f->lon

then the errors go away. I've attached the plot I get when I run your
script as is (mask_orig.png) and the one I get when I make the changes
above (mask_mod.png). They are clearly different -- I don't know which one
is right.

With regard to the -inf/inf reporting from printMinMax(), there are some
very extreme values in the "pr" variable. For example, try:

  print(f->pr(2,14,7:33))

and you'll see some extremely large values (compared to the surrounding
context).  These, when multiplied by 86400, as in your code, push the
values beyond the range of floats.

So, I hope that helps, but I'm not certain this even addresses the question
about masking. I have not been able to resolve the issue of yahoo.com
accounts, whether its the ncl-talk mailer, or my email client, or....?   If
you have another email address, perhaps you might register it with
ncl-talk. I know its a pain. But as Dennis states, ncl support strives to
be first rate -- you were not purposefully ignored, nor are your posts
unreasonable!

Rick