[ncl-talk] Unable to Generate 2nd Plot on NCL Script

Will Hobbs will.hobbs at utas.edu.au
Wed Apr 17 21:41:09 MDT 2019

Zach

The error message pretty much says it all: argument (1) (which in ncl is the second argument) of gsn_csm_xy() is the wrong data type.

If you look at the function description for gsn_csm_xy(), argument 1 (i.e. ‘time2’ in your example, has to be numeric, but from what I can tell from your script time2 is actually a string. You can check this using either print(typeof(time2)) OR printVarSummary(time2) – both will return the data type,

http://www.ncl.ucar.edu/Document/Graphics/Interfaces/gsn_csm_xy.shtml

Will