[ncl-talk] error trying to generate ESMF conservative weights

Denise Worthen - NOAA Affiliate denise.worthen at noaa.gov
Thu Apr 11 08:25:30 MDT 2019

Hi All,

I am trying to use ESMF regridding to regrid from a MOM6 tripole grid to a
regular lat/lon grid using both bilinear and conservative regridding. I
have created a file containing the lat/lon of the center staggers of MOM6
and the 4 vertices surrounding each center stagger (on the MOM6 grid, these
are Bu points). I am able to create a SCRIP file from this file using
curvilinear_to_SCRIP. I can also create the latlon SCRIP file using the
latlon_to_SCRIP function.

Using these two, I am able to create bilinear weights, but generating the
conservative weights quits with the error:

ESMF_Grid.F90:5263 ESMF_GridCreate Wrong argument specified  - - Bad corner
array in SCRIP file

I've attached the script that I am using to generate the weights as well as
the output from running it. I can see where ESMF the esmf error arises (in
the ESMF src tree) but I can't decipher what is causing it to fail.

Thanks,
Denise.