[ncl-talk] NCL Errors with Plotting IMS Snow Example

Stuart D Smith smit1770 at purdue.edu
Tue Sep 25 15:51:26 MDT 2018

Hello,

I am working through the plotting example,  “NIC IMS Snow and Ice Products” from the NCL site ( https://www.ncl.ucar.edu/Applications/nic_ims.shtml ). I did have to make adjustments to the script (attachment for reference), since the file extensions to the ftp site have changed. When plotting the example with the 24 km data, I receive unusual errors when trying to plot the last two figures. The error I receive is the following:

“fatal:Conditional statements (if and do while) require SCALAR logical values, see all and any functions
fatal:["Execute.c":8640]:Execute: Error occurred at or near line 1809 in file /apps/cent7/ncl/6.4.0/lib/ncarg/nclscripts/csm/gsn_csm.ncl
fatal:["Execute.c":8640]:Execute: Error occurred at or near line 7482 in file /apps/cent7/ncl/6.4.0/lib/ncarg/nclscripts/csm/gsn_csm.ncl
fatal:["Execute.c":8640]:Execute: Error occurred at or near line 181 in file Plot_IMS_4k.ncl”

I have also tried to adjust the plotting script to work for 4km data. However, when plotting the first figure it fails to draw the figure and provides the following error message:

fatal:ContourPlotDraw: Workspace reallocation would exceed maximum size 100000000
fatal:ContourPlotDraw: draw error
fatal:ContourPlotDraw: draw error
fatal:PlotManagerDraw: error in plot draw
fatal:_NhlPlotManagerDraw: Draw error
fatal:Conditional statements (if and do while) require SCALAR logical values, see all and any functions
fatal:["Execute.c":8640]:Execute: Error occurred at or near line 1809 in file /apps/cent7/ncl/6.4.0/lib/ncarg/nclscripts/csm/gsn_csm.ncl
fatal:["Execute.c":8640]:Execute: Error occurred at or near line 7482 in file /apps/cent7/ncl/6.4.0/lib/ncarg/nclscripts/csm/gsn_csm.ncl
fatal:["Execute.c":8640]:Execute: Error occurred at or near line 181 in file Plot_IMS_4k.ncl

Could I please have guidance to correct the errors in order to plot both spatial resolutions correctly? I also wanted guidance on adjusting the script to plot a specific area rather than plotting the full extent. The data I have been using is listed in the example on the site, but I have also provided links to the ftp sites as well, which are listed below. Thank you for your time.

Regards,

-Stuart

4km IMS data
ftp://sidads.colorado.edu/pub/DATASETS/NOAA/G02156/4km/2006/
IMS metadata
ftp://sidads.colorado.edu/pub/DATASETS/NOAA/G02156/metadata/