[ncl-talk] Regarding the computation of CAPE

Prashanth Bhalachandran prashanth.bhalachandran at gmail.com
Sun Sep 23 18:26:32 MDT 2018

Kind Regards!

I just have a simple question regarding the computation of CAPE. I understand that while calculating the CAPE, we need to subtract the potential temperature of the parcel and its environment. My question is : how do I get the temperature of the environment and the parcel? Is it simply the domain average between two levels of interest? None of the papers I referred to gives this detail. I tried going through the fortran code but I couldn’t decipher this. Can you please help me understand?

Thank you,
Prashanth