[ncl-talk] impact of missing values

Laura Fowler laura at ucar.edu
Thu Sep 20 14:22:11 MDT 2018

Hello:

I am trying to plot the index level of the cloud base of shallow convection
for one time step. In my netCDF file, there is no convection when the index
level is equal to 55 (which is the total number of layers in my
experiments).

First, I plot the incidence of shallow convection defined as equal to 1.
when the cloud base is defined, and 0. otherwise (see kbcon_inc.pdf). Then,
I plot the actual value of the index level after defining the grid-point as
a missing value if the cloud base is equal to 55 (see kbcon.pdf). Missing
values are plotted in gray.

When I compare the two plots, some grid-points are missing in kbcon.pdf
compared to kbcon_inc.pdf, as for instance over the tropical Pacific Ocean.
I know that the incidence filed is correct after comparing it against an
other diagnostics. I do not understand the differences between the 2 plots
and why some grid cell are missing. It it the impact of missing values. Is
it the impact of setting res at cnFillMode = "RasterFill"?

If interested, the ncl script test.ncl is in

/gpfs/fs1/work/laura/MPASprojects2018/MPAS.cu_shallow.diagnostics/run3.40962.cu_gf/temp

--
Laura D. Fowler

Mesoscale and Microscale Meteorology Division (MMM)
P.O. Box 3000, Boulder CO 80307-3000

e-mail: laura at ucar.edu
phone: 303-497-1628