[ncl-talk] problem with ncl_filedump *.nc ?

Karl-Hermann Wieners karl-hermann.wieners at mpimet.mpg.de
Thu Sep 20 02:48:18 MDT 2018

On 09/19/2018 02:12 PM, Dylan White wrote:
> In a file called "ncl_filedump.ncl", I have written the line-
> print(addfile(filePath,"r"))
> Then, in a file called "ncl_filedump.csh", I have written the line  -
> ncl filePath=\"$1\" ncl_filedump.ncl
> And in my "~/.bashrc" file, I have added the line  -  alias
> ncl_filedump="csh /path/to/ncl_filedump.csh"

Just as an aside (nothing to to with the problem, but with the work-around)

We've done several of those "executable NCL scripts" using a general
wrapper to ncl that allows to use ncl the same way as any other script
language, passing --option=value as an NCL variable "option" and
positional parameters as an "ARGS" array. Our wrapper is called nclsh
and uses perl (see gzipped attachment) - there might be other ways to do it.

With that unpacked into a directory, say, /your/home/bin, you would
write "ncl_filedump.ncl" simply as

  print(addfile(ARGS(0),"r"))

and define your alias like

  alias ncl_filedump="/your/home/bin/nclsh /path/to/ncl_filedump.ncl"

Alternatively, you could write a "/your/home/bin/ncl_filedump" as

  #! /your/home/bin/nclsh
  print(addfile(ARGS(0),"r"))

make that an executable script (chmod +x) and - for bash - do

  PATH=/your/home/bin:$PATH

Best,
Karl
--