[ncl-talk] Plotting CALIPSO 532nm total backscatter coefficient

Dennis Shea shea at ucar.edu
Wed Sep 12 08:29:17 MDT 2018

re: http://www.ncl.ucar.edu/Applications/calipso.shtml under the heading
*calipso_3.ncl*

Hi Srishti

[1] You 'forgot' to include 'time'

;----------------------------------------------
;  GET TIME FIELDS TO GET A TIME STRING, WHICH WILL BE USED TO STRIDE
X-AXIS LATITUDE AND LONGITUDE
;----------------------------------------------
   time    = (/ f->Profile_T /)                  ; originally
(/f[ifile]->Profile_Time/)
   time at units = "seconds since 1993-01-01 00:00"
   tstring = ut_string(time(:,0), "%Y-%N-%D %H:%M:%S")
   stride  = dimsizes(tstring)/15

[2] *gsn_csm_contour*:   Consider some variable:  FOO(*dim0*,*dim1*)

     When gsn_csm_contour plots the variable, it  treats the *dim0* as the
Y-axis and the *dim1 *as the X-axis

     The CALIPSO variable
         TBC_532 = hdf4_file->Total_Backscatter_Coefficient_532
          *printVarSummary*(TBC_532)

     has dimensions TBC_532(*dim1*,*dim0*) which are reversed. This is
easily fixed via NCL's dimension reordering. The script renames the
dimensions

         plot = *gsn_csm_contour*(wks,TBC_532(*hgt|:,xcoord|:*),res)   ;
make 'hgt' the Y-Axis

Attached is a modification. A local CALIPSO file is used so you will have
to make minor changes.

If you are 'new to NCL', please see
   http://www.ncl.ucar.edu/Document/Manuals/

Specifically, the NCL User Guide