[ncl-talk] Plotting several variables into one Hovmuller plot

Toni Klemm toni-klemm at tamu.edu
Mon Sep 10 17:50:24 MDT 2018

Hello!

I’m trying to plot three variables, percentages of land cover of grasses, shrubs, and trees, into one Hovmueller plot (gsn_csm_hov <https://www.ncl.ucar.edu/Applications/time_lon.shtml>, longitude vs. years). I have the data arranged such that each grid point will only show one land cover type, namely the one with the largest percentage. In principle, this is similar to the seasonal tercile forecasts by the US Climate Prediction Center <http://www.cpc.ncep.noaa.gov/products/predictions/long_range/lead14/index.php> that show the likelihood for above, below, and near normal temperature (see the map attached). The difference in my case is I need to plot time vs. longitude, not latitude vs. longitude.

I would appreciate any help for integrating three variables into one plot. Each variable will also need its own legend (like in the map).

Thank you very much!

Toni

Toni Klemm, Ph.D.
Postdoctoral Research Associate
Department of Ecosystem Science and Management
College of Agriculture and Life Sciences
Texas A&M University, College Station, TX
Contributor to the Early Career Climate Forum <http://www.eccforum.org/>
www.toni-klemm.de <http://www.toni-klemm.de/> | @toniklemm <http://twitter.com/toniklemm>