[ncl-talk] Wind speed - Orography cross-section plot

Barry Lynn barry.h.lynn at gmail.com
Fri Sep 7 06:09:57 MDT 2018

Hi Lara:

I can't give too much help, but I can mention that NCL plots what you tell
it.

This means that your grid for wind barbs encompasses the whole mapping
area.  If this is unrealistic, then you need to regrid the winds (or
interpolate them) to a grid whose surface starts at the mountain tops.
Otherwise, if you just need to "white them out" you can set the winds
to @_FillValue  = something in the locations of the mountains.

Barry

On Fri, Sep 7, 2018 at 12:10 PM Lara Quitián Hernández <
laraquitianhernandez at gmail.com> wrote:

> Good morning,
>
> I'm trying to represent the wind speed field in a cross-section plot where
> the orography is also defined. However, I think both, wind speed and
> orography, are not related to each other because the wind speed barbs do
> not experiment any ascension when colliding with the mountain, it seems
> they pass through it (I attach some examples below). Could you please help
> me with this?
>
> Thanks in advance!
>
> Best regards,
> Lara
>

> --
>

> *Lara Quitián Hernández, PhD Student*
> Departamento de Física de la Tierra, Astronomía y Astrofísica
> Facultad de Ciencias Físicas
> Ciudad Universitaria, Plaza Ciencias, 1
> 28040 Madrid. Spain
> Email: lquitian at ucm.es <mlunar at aemet.es>