[ncl-talk] SPI calculation

Mary Haley haley at ucar.edu
Wed Nov 28 13:57:55 MST 2018

Soma,

The spi_2.ncl script shows you how to calculate the yyyymm variable:

  year    = yyyymm/100
  yrStrt  = year(0)
  yrLast  = year(ntim-1)
  nyear   = yrLast-yrStrt+1
  yyyymm  = yyyymm_time(yrStrt, yrLast, "integer")

You don't need the "date" or "yyyymm" arrays, because you already have the
year information. Use ispan to generate the "year" array and now you can
get your yyyymm and yrfac values as needed:

  year    = ispan(1970,2010,1)
  ntim    = dimsizes(year)
  yrStrt  = year(0)
  yrLast  = year(ntim-1)
  nyear   = yrLast-yrStrt+1
  yyyymm  = yyyymm_time(yrStrt, yrLast, "integer")
  yrfrac  = (/ yyyymm_to_yyyyfrac(yyyymm, 0.0) /)

--Mary