[ncl-talk] Including "string" variable in new NetCDF file

Toni Klemm toni-klemm at tamu.edu
Mon Nov 12 15:41:37 MST 2018

Hello!

I need to include a string variable (names of counties of several US states) in a new netCDF file, and my understanding is that the setfileoption for the file cannot be set to

setfileoption("nc","Format”,"LargeFile")
but must be set to

setfileoption("nc","Format","NetCDF4")
for so that string variables can be saved in the NetCDF file. The rest of the file contains regular numeric data (integer values with a defined missing value and some metadata), all of which I converted from a .csv file. I’ve never changed this file option before, and I was wondering if there is something I need to be aware of when processing and working with the rest of the file (doing simple math like averages, sums, …).

Thank you very much in advance.

Toni

Toni Klemm, Ph.D.
Postdoctoral Research Associate
Department of Ecosystem Science and Management
College of Agriculture and Life Sciences
Texas A&M University, College Station, TX
Contributor to the Early Career Climate Forum <http://www.eccforum.org/>
www.toni-klemm.de <http://www.toni-klemm.de/> | @toniklemm <http://twitter.com/toniklemm>