[ncl-talk] Few issues plotting vertical cross-sections with terrain mask

Nicholas Thomas Luchetti Nicholas.Luchetti at colorado.edu
Mon Nov 5 10:17:52 MST 2018

Hi all,

I'm attempting to plot vertical cross sections of an idealized WRF
simulation that includes a terrain mask.

I've been trying to play around with NCAR's experimental
wrf_CrossSection_add_smooth_terrain code (
http://www2.mmm.ucar.edu/wrf/OnLineTutorial/Graphics/NCL/Examples/CROSS_SECTION/wrf_CrossSection_add_smooth_terrain.ncl
)

with decent results.

However, I can't seem to figure out a few issues... First off, the lines:

 ter_res = True

  opts_ter = res

  opts_ter at gsnYRefLine = 0.0

  opts_ter at gsnAboveYRefLineColor = "black"

  opts_ter at gsnDraw = False

  opts_ter at gsnFrame = False

  opts_ter at FieldTitle = ""

don't seem to work for me... The mountain mask only appears white. No
errors, but the mountain won't change colors to black and I'm not sure why.

Second, the base of the terrain appears to be bumped up .2km which throws
off my labels... I can't figure out in the code where this is happening.
I've attached my version to this email. The terrain in this setup is a 500
meter valley... The plots, however, appear to set up the terrain around 700
meters, not 500 meters, so the base of the valley only dips to 200 meters,
when it should be around 0 meters. See attached screenshot for reference.

Does anyone have any ideas? Thanks!

Nick Luchetti
--
Nicholas Luchetti