[ncl-talk] generate indices for resampling

Andrew Kren - NOAA Affiliate andrew.kren at noaa.gov
Fri Jun 1 10:06:48 MDT 2018

Dear ncl-talk,

This is more of a science question than a coding issue. I noticed ncl has
the function generate_sample_indices to resample with and without
replacement. My data is temperature and moisture retrievals as function of
(time,lev). The issue I am tackling is that my data has a high temporal
frequency. I want to thin the data prior to assimilating it in the HWRF.
The data is reported at approximately every 2-3 seconds for a full 24
hours. So I have a lot of measurements and want to thin it.

I did a test where I retain 80% of the data randomly:

; generate indices for resampling without replacement to sub-sample the
HAMSR data

n_retain = toint(ceil(0.8*dimsizes(time)))

print(dimsizes(time))

iwo = generate_sample_indices(n_retain,0)

print(dimsizes(iwo))

14398 - dimsizes(time)

11519 - dimsizes(iwo)

However, I noticed that maybe this may not be correct since it will only
select n_retain values, and thus may not randomly get indices from the full
dataset to subset. Is there a way to do this with the function without
having to do replacement?

Andrew Kren
Assistant Scientist
CIMAS & NOAA/AOML