[ncl-talk] Computing winds in an annulus

Alan Brammer abrammer at albany.edu
Tue Jan 30 12:40:07 MST 2018

to follow up with an important detail here.

Average:
(a) 0-6    and multiply by the area
(b) 0-4,   and multiply by the area
(c) subtract: (a) -(b)  then divide by ( area a - area b )
e.g. ignoring the fact that the earth is a sphere

outer =  dim_avg_n( masked0_6_array, (/0,1/) ) * (pi*6^2)      ; some array
where we've already masked the data we want, or subset the area we want
inner =  dim_avg_n( masked0_4_array, (/0,1/) ) * (pi*4^2)
annulus = ( outer - inner  ) /  (  (pi*6^2) - (pi*4^2) )

You can cancel all the pi's above for simplicity if desired. .

To do this with circles rather than squares however you could also use the
layout from the Katrina circle script on the below page and add an extra
gc_inout() to mask the inner 0 to x km circle.
Then you don't need to worry about areas so much.  (Should probably still
weight by the latitude though)
https://www.ncl.ucar.edu/Applications/latlon_subset.shtml