[ncl-talk] fatal:systemfunc: cannot create child process:[errno=12]

Rick Brownrigg brownrig at ucar.edu
Tue Aug 28 07:27:51 MDT 2018

If your machine is running out of memory, that's a difficult constraint to
argue with.  The question is *should* the machine be running out of memory
-- i.e., how much data are you trying to read in vs. how much physical
memory does the machine have.  If you believe there should be sufficient
resource available, is the machine shared with many other users at the time
you are getting these errors?

Finally, if you change the workstation type from PNG to X11, that will
avoid the call to systemfunc(). However, I would not be surprised if
there's a out-of-memory error somewhere further down the line. If by chance
the plot does indeed draw, you might capture it with a screen shot.