[ncl-talk] Missing color fill when using gsn_csm_contour_map (ncl V 6.4.0)

Guido Cioni guidocioni at gmail.com
Thu Aug 23 04:09:46 MDT 2018

Be careful!

> abossola at olivia:~/Adriana/CESM/MAM7/MAM7_tes4$  gcc--version
> gcc--version: command not found

It should be gcc --version (NOTE THE SPACE!!) and not gcc--version

You do the same error afterwards

> ncl 1> ncl-V

instead than ncl -V, although also this command should be executed oustide of NCL (only in the bash). The commands uname -a and gcc --version as well need to be executed outside of NCL.

I'd suggest you to have a general introduction on Linux and NCL before attempting to fix your plot.

However, did you try the script that Dennis sent?

> On 23. Aug 2018, at 11:12, adriana.bossolasco at cnrs-orleans.fr wrote:
>
> Hi
>
> I try the commands and this is what I obtain:
>
> abossola at olivia:~/Adriana/CESM/MAM7/MAM7_tes4$  ncl -V
> 6.4.0
> abossola at olivia:~/Adriana/CESM/MAM7/MAM7_tes4$ uname -a
> Linux olivia 4.15.0-32-generic #35-Ubuntu SMP Fri Aug 10 17:58:07 UTC 2018 x86_64 x86_64 x86_64 GNU/Linux
> abossola at olivia:~/Adriana/CESM/MAM7/MAM7_tes4$  gcc--version
> gcc--version: command not found
>
> Other wise if I type this command in the ncl shell, then says:
>
> ncl 1> ncl-V
> fatal:syntax error: line 1 before or near -
> ncl-
>
> ncl 3> uname -a
> fatal:syntax error: line 3 before or near -
> uname -
> ------^
>
> fatal:error in statement
> ncl 4>  gcc--version
> fatal:syntax error: line 4 before or near -
> gcc-
> ----^
>
> fatal:error in statement
>
> I know that it is very strange because in my old computer everything working, it could be due to the version of Linux?
>
> This is my version now:
> NAME="Ubuntu"
> VERSION="18.04.1 LTS (Bionic Beaver)"
> ID=ubuntu
> ID_LIKE=debian
> PRETTY_NAME="Ubuntu 18.04.1 LTS"
> VERSION_ID="18.04"
> HOME_URL="https://www.ubuntu.com/"
> SUPPORT_URL="https://help.ubuntu.com/"
> BUG_REPORT_URL="https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/"
> PRIVACY_POLICY_URL="https://www.ubuntu.com/legal/terms-and-policies/privacy-policy"
> VERSION_CODENAME=bionic
> UBUNTU_CODENAME=bionic
>
> I really appreciate any help!
>
> Le 22/08/2018 17:58, Dennis Shea a écrit :
>> Sorry. I accidentally hit "Send".
>> Attached is the 2nd plot.
>> On Wed, Aug 22, 2018 at 9:56 AM, Dennis Shea <shea at ucar.edu> wrote:
>>> Not sure why you are not getting color.
>>> If the following does not create color then please send the output
>>> from
>>> %> ncl -V
>>> %> uname -a
>>> %> gcc--version
>>> =========
>>> ;---read in zonal winds
>>> ;a = addfile("MAM_GEOS_1anee.cam.h0.2000-12-07-00000.nc [1]","r")
>>> ;u = a->U(0,35,:,:)
>>> a = addfile("uwnd.2008.nc [2]","r")
>>> u = a->uwnd(0,10,:,:)
>>> printVarSummary (u)
>>> ;print(u)
>>> wks  = gsn_open_wks("png","adriana")  ; send graphics to PNG file
>>> res                 = True
>>> res at gsnMaximize     = True       ; maximize in frame
>>> res at cnLinesOn       = True
>>> res at cnFillOn        = True
>>> res at cnFillPalette   = "BlueYellowRed"   ; change the color palette
>>> res at tiMainString    = "Default"
>>> plot = gsn_csm_contour_map(wks,u,res)
>>> res at mpFillDrawOrder = "PostDraw" ; Make sure land fill is drawn
>>> ; on top of filled contours
>>> res at tiMainString    = "add gray land fill after contouring"
>>> plot = gsn_csm_contour_map(wks,u,res)
>>> On Wed, Aug 22, 2018 at 2:22 AM,
>>> <adriana.bossolasco at cnrs-orleans.fr> wrote:
>>> Hi thank you very much for the answer
>>> I corrected U and print the variable for see if this have values
>>> now is U(0,34,:,:)
>>> Variable: u
>>> Type: float
>>> Total Size: 55296 bytes
>>> 13824 values
>>> Number of Dimensions: 2
>>> Dimensions and sizes:    [lat | 96] x [lon | 144]
>>> Coordinates:
>>> lat: [ -90..  90]
>>> lon: [   0..357.5]
>>> Number Of Attributes: 6
>>> lev :    581.2501460313797
>>> time :     327
>>> mdims :    1
>>> units :    m/s
>>> long_name :    Zonal wind
>>> cell_methods :    time: mean
>>> And also have values, I checked it with print(u)
>>> But still the graphic is empty (white, no contour fill)
>>> On the other hand I can not access to ftp.cgd.ucar.edu [3] for
>>> attach my file. Say:
>>> ERROR
>>> The requested URL could not be retrieved
>>> Any other idea how can I pass the file
>>> MAM_GEOS_1anee.cam.h0.2000-12-07-00000.nc [1]
>>> Thank you very much
>>> Le 21/08/2018 20:36, Dennis Shea a écrit :
>>> [0]
>>> If you are just learning NCL, I suggest you look at the USER MANUAL
>>> at:
>>> HTTP://WWW.NCL.UCAR.EDU/DOCUMENT/MANUALS/ [4] [6]
> [...]
>>> Examples 1 and 2
>>> Color is turned on via:
>>> res at cnFillOn = True     ; make color graphic
>>> When color is activated, (a) the background map including the light
>>> gray land fil is generated; then, (b) the color contour are drawn
>>> over
>>> that background.  The light gray land fill is overwritten (no big
>>> deal). The following resource setting tells the
>>> 'gsn_csm_contour_map'
>>> do the colr contours and then force the gray land fill last. [There
>>> are some reasons for doing that.]
>>> res at mpFillDrawOrder = "PostDraw" ; Make sure land fill is drawn
>>> ; on top of filled contours
>>> [3]
>>> If you want you can ftp a sample file to:
>>> ftp ftp.cgd.ucar.edu [3] [8]
>>> anonymous
>>> your_email
>>> cd incoming
>>> put MAM_GEOS_1anee.cam.h0.2000-12-07-00000.nc [1] [9]
>>> quit
>>> On Tue, Aug 21, 2018 at 9:45 AM, Toni Klemm <toni-klemm at tamu.edu>
>>> wrote:
>>> Hi Adriana,
>>> I noticed there are two commas in the command to extract the sind
>>> vectors: u = a->U(0,,:,:)  Could that be the problem?
>>> Could you attach the netCDF file from the example that you’re
>>> using? (MAM_GEOS_1anee.cam.h0.2000-12-07-00000.nc [1] [1])
>>> Toni
>>> Toni Klemm, Ph.D.
>>> Postdoctoral Research Associate
>>> Department of Ecosystem Science and Management
>>> College of Agriculture and Life Sciences
>>> Texas A&M University, College Station, TX
>>> Contributor to the Early Career Climate Forum [3]
>>> www.toni-klemm.de [6] [4] | @toniklemm [5]
>>> On Aug 21, 2018, at 10:01 AM, adriana.bossolasco at cnrs-orleans.fr
>>> wrote:
>>> Hi all
>>> I have a problem with ncl when I try to plot a contour graphic. I
>>> thought it was a mistake I was making, but then when I try with a
>>> example very simple still appears blank. And ncl does not tell me
>>> any error.
>>> Here is the script (have my file but is exactly the same that
>>> newcolor_1.ncl)
>>> ;************************************************
>>> ; zonal_2.ncl
>>> ;
>>> ; Concepts illustrated:
>>> ;   - Drawing a zonal means plot
>>> ;   - Using dim_avg_Wrap to calculate a zonal average
>>> ;************************************************
>>> ;load "/usr/lib/ncarg/nclscripts/csm/gsn_code.ncl"
>>> ;load "/usr/lib/ncarg/nclscripts/csm/gsn_csm.ncl"
>>> ;load "/usr/lib/ncarg/nclscripts/csm/contributed.ncl"
>>> ;************************************************
>>> begin
>>> ; variable and file handling
>>> ;---read in zonal winds
>>> a = addfile("MAM_GEOS_1anee.cam.h0.2000-12-07-00000.nc [1]
>>> u = a->U(0,,:,:)                                ; July zonal

Guido Cioni
http://guidocioni.altervista <http://guidocioni.altervista/>.org