[ncl-talk] Missing color fill when using gsn_csm_contour_map (ncl V 6.4.0)

adriana.bossolasco at cnrs-orleans.fr adriana.bossolasco at cnrs-orleans.fr
Wed Aug 22 02:22:24 MDT 2018

Hi thank you very much for the answer
I corrected U and print the variable for see if this have values

now is U(0,34,:,:)

Variable: u
Type: float
Total Size: 55296 bytes
             13824 values
Number of Dimensions: 2
Dimensions and sizes:    [lat | 96] x [lon | 144]
Coordinates:
             lat: [ -90..  90]
             lon: [   0..357.5]
Number Of Attributes: 6
   lev :    581.2501460313797
   time :     327
   mdims :    1
   units :    m/s
   long_name :    Zonal wind
   cell_methods :    time: mean

And also have values, I checked it with print(u)

But still the graphic is empty (white, no contour fill)
On the other hand I can not access to ftp.cgd.ucar.edu for attach my
file. Say:
ERROR
Any other idea how can I pass the file
MAM_GEOS_1anee.cam.h0.2000-12-07-00000.nc

Thank you very much

Le 21/08/2018 20:36, Dennis Shea a écrit :
> [...]
>
>    Examples 1 and 2
>
> Color is turned on via:
>    res at cnFillOn = True     ; make color graphic
>
> When color is activated, (a) the background map including the light
> gray land fil is generated; then, (b) the color contour are drawn over
> that background.  The light gray land fill is overwritten (no big
> deal). The following resource setting tells the 'gsn_csm_contour_map'
> do the colr contours and then force the gray land fill last. [There
> are some reasons for doing that.]
>
> res at mpFillDrawOrder = "PostDraw" ; Make sure land fill is drawn
>                                    ; on top of filled contours
>
> [3]
>
> If you want you can ftp a sample file to:
>
>   ftp ftp.cgd.ucar.edu [8]
>
>   anonymous
>
>   your_email
>
>   cd incoming
>
>   put MAM_GEOS_1anee.cam.h0.2000-12-07-00000.nc [9]
>
>   quit
>
> On Tue, Aug 21, 2018 at 9:45 AM, Toni Klemm <toni-klemm at tamu.edu>
> wrote:
>
>> Hi Adriana,
>>
>> I noticed there are two commas in the command to extract the sind
>> vectors: u = a->U(0,,:,:)  Could that be the problem?
>>
>> Could you attach the netCDF file from the example that you’re
>> using? (MAM_GEOS_1anee.cam.h0.2000-12-07-00000.nc [1])
>>
>> Toni
>>
>> Toni Klemm, Ph.D.
>> Postdoctoral Research Associate
>> Department of Ecosystem Science and Management
>> College of Agriculture and Life Sciences
>> Texas A&M University, College Station, TX
>> Contributor to the Early Career Climate Forum [3]
>> www.toni-klemm.de [4] | @toniklemm [5]
>>
>>> On Aug 21, 2018, at 10:01 AM, adriana.bossolasco at cnrs-orleans.fr
>>> wrote:
>>>
>>> Hi all
>>>
>>> I have a problem with ncl when I try to plot a contour graphic. I
>>> thought it was a mistake I was making, but then when I try with a
>>> example very simple still appears blank. And ncl does not tell me
>>> any error.
>>> Here is the script (have my file but is exactly the same that
>>> newcolor_1.ncl)
>>>
>>> ;************************************************
>>> ; zonal_2.ncl
>>> ;
>>> ; Concepts illustrated:
>>> ;   - Drawing a zonal means plot
>>> ;   - Using dim_avg_Wrap to calculate a zonal average
>>> ;************************************************
>>> ;load "/usr/lib/ncarg/nclscripts/csm/gsn_code.ncl"
>>> ;load "/usr/lib/ncarg/nclscripts/csm/gsn_csm.ncl"
>>> ;load "/usr/lib/ncarg/nclscripts/csm/contributed.ncl"
>>> begin
>>> ; variable and file handling
>>> ;---read in zonal winds
>>> a = addfile("MAM_GEOS_1anee.cam.h0.2000-12-07-00000.nc [1]","r")
>>> u = a->U(0,,:,:)                                ; July zonal

e-mail: adriana.bossolasco at cnrs-orleans.fr