[ncl-talk] Subsetting WRF output file

Jim Means jim at weatherextreme.com
Fri Aug 17 13:29:16 MDT 2018

I'm trying to do something which I think should be relatively simple,
but I think my lack of understanding of gridded files is causing me
problems.

I'd like to take the NetCDF output file from a WRF run and just pull out
the variables I need, so that I have a smaller version of the file that
I can work with. I'm giving it to somebody to load into IDV and they
need to be able to aggregate times. I would like to be able to plot
horizontal and vertical velocity at different levels in the model, and
keep the time information so that I can see the evolution. My program
runs, but IDV tells me that there is "No gridded data" found in my
output file.

My question is what do I need to do to make this a gridded data file?

Here is some example code, I used unstagger because I thought that might
be my problem, but unstaggering didn't seem to help.

Thanks,

Jim

begin
;

;***************************************************
; Open full NetCDF file and get variable names
;***************************************************

  nc_in = addfile("wrfout_d02_2018-07-22_06:00:00.nc","r")

;***************************************************
; Open output netcdf file. Remove first just in case.
;***************************************************
    nc_out_fname = "testout.nc"
    system("rm -f " + nc_out_fname) ; remove any pre-existing file
    ncdf_out = addfile(nc_out_fname,"c")

;***************************************************
; Specify desired  variables
;***************************************************