[ncl-talk] Area fill not working on gsn_contour and label string stopped working

Mary Haley haley at ucar.edu
Fri Aug 17 08:11:44 MDT 2018

Hi Adam,

FYI: We just release NCL V6.5.0 so you might want to try this. You can use
"conda" to install NCL, which is similar to the way you installed the
Ubuntu package.  Instructions can be found here
<http://www.ncl.ucar.edu/Download/conda.shtml>.

However, I'm not aware of any specific problems in NCL V6.4.0 that would
cause these problems. Sometimes the contouring algorithms can have problems
if you have coordinate arrays or values for each of your data values and
the coordinates are inconsistently spaced. Moving to raster fill definitely
changes the algorithm used under the hood.

The labelbar strings not appearing is also not something I'm aware of. I
would need to know more about how you are creating the plot and what your
data looks like.

Are you able to provide your script and data so I can have a look? If the
date file is small, you can email it and the script to me (and feel free to
email them to me personally if you don't want to send them to ncl-talk). If
the data is large, you can use our ftp:

http://www.ncl.ucar.edu/ftp_files.shtml

As for using the Ubuntu package: this shouldn't be the cause of your
problems. Do you have any other contour scripts that still work? If you
don't have your own scripts, you could try one of our examples. Go to:

http://www.ncl.ucar.edu/Applications/plot_data_on_map.shtml

where you can download the scripts and the data files.

Look over this suite of examples and pick one of the filled contour ones.
The very first one is a good place to start.

Hope to hear back from you as I'd like to get to the bottom of this.
Thanks!

--Mary