[ncl-talk] SST plot showing a blank map on Ubuntu machine

Mary Haley haley at ucar.edu
Wed Aug 15 09:36:59 MDT 2018

Hello Tan,

Did you ever get this resolved?

As Rick pointed out, the two different plots are using different contour
levels.  I just downloaded the data and tried your script using the
30,35,40,45 contour levels, and got the attached plot, so that seems to be
working. I added the version of NCL as a title (using get_ncl_version) so
you could see I was using 6.4.0.

If you are having trouble on another machine, it could simply be an
environment issue. Also, as Rick said, you shouldn't be getting a SEGV.
When I run your script without the HighRes database, I just get the error:

fatal:MapRGDHDrawMapList: MDRGSF/MDRGOF - ERROR OPENING RANGS/GSHHS CAT FILE
fatal:PlotManagerDraw: error in plot draw
fatal:_NhlPlotManagerDraw: Draw error

If you are still having problems with this, then can you get on the system
that has the problem, and type the following commands on the UNIX command
line and email them back to ncl-talk:

env | grep NCARG
which ncl
ncl -V