[ncl-talk] Regression produces fatal error: regCoef_n: The input array y must have as many or more dimensions than x

Andreas Chrysanthou eeac at leeds.ac.uk
Fri Sep 1 07:06:59 MDT 2017

Hi NCL users,

I want to calculate the regression coefficients of variable with 1 dimension (y= mass_flux)  against another which has 3 dimensions (x = acceldivf_).

Typically, according to the description of the regCoef_n (x, y, dims_x, dims_y) NCL function x and y can be arrays of any dimensionality but the dims_x and dims_x and dims_y is an integer indicating which dimension of x/y to do the calculation on, as long as it has the same number of elements.

The error I’m getting is the following: fatal:regCoef_n: The input array y must have as many or more dimensions than x

PrintVarSummary of both variables follows:

Variable: mass_flux
Type: float
Total Size: 564 bytes
            141 values
Number of Dimensions: 1
Dimensions and sizes: [time | 141]
Coordinates:
            time: [1960..2100]
Number Of Attributes: 1
  _FillValue : 1e+20

Variable: acceldivf_
Type: float
Total Size: 839232 bytes
            209808 values
Number of Dimensions: 3
Dimensions and sizes: [time | 141] x [lev | 31] x [lat | 48]
Coordinates:
            time: [1960..2100]
            lev: [1000.. 0.1]
            lat: [-87.15909445302286..87.15909445302286]

So it fails with the above fatal error when I try:

rc= regCoef_n (acceldivf_, mass_flux, 0, 0)

Any ideas please?

Cheers,
Andreas